Dental implants can help restore your smile and self confidence after a tooth extraction. If you have missing teeth, it can be embarrassing to smile in public. However, when you undergo dental implants it can improve your lifestyle since they look and feel like natural teeth. Dental implants are safe and cost effective solutions for patients who have unreliable dentures or missing teeth.
In case you don’t know, dental implants are metal frames or posts which are carefully positioned into your jawbones below the gums by oral surgeons. This allows the dentist to place artificial teeth to them. The bridges and dentures that are mounted to the dental implants will prevent them from moving while you are eating or talking. Hence, they feel more natural compared to alternative tooth replacement such as ordinary bridges.
The problem with ordinary bridges is that despite feeling uncomfortable and unnatural, they require to be attached to either side of missing teeth. On the other hand, dental implants do not require to be attached to adjacent teeth. Before you go for implants, there are a few basics you need to understand. First, you need to have healthy gums and bone structure to support the dental implants. And second, you should be committed to oral hygiene to ensure the implants work perfectly in the long term, by visiting your dentist regularly.
Types of dental implants
There are two types of dental implants, i.e. endosteal implants and subperiosteal implants.
· Endosteal implants
This refers to dental implants which are implanted into the jawbone by an oral surgeon. After the surgery, artificial teeth are attached to the post.
· Subperiosteal implants
This involves fitting metal frames onto the jawbone beneath the gum. Like in endosteal implants, artificial teeth will be attached to the post which protrudes through the gum tissue.
Benefits of dental implants
· Unlike ordinary dentures, dental implants will keep your teeth in place so that they don’t slip or move inside your mouth. Therefore, you can go on with your normal activities such as brushing or flossing without worrying they might slip or fall out of your mouth.
· Also, with dental implants, you don’t have to struggle to pronounce words like other dentures. They feel like natural teeth and you can confidently talk in public without being embarrassed.
· Dental implants allow patients to eat their favorite foods without any problems. Unlike other dentures that are removable, dental implants allow you to confidently bite your favorite food like you have natural teeth.
· If you have missing teeth, dental implants can replace them so that you get your natural smile back. Unlike other options such as bridges and removable dentures, dental implants feel natural and comfortable and will not interfere with your normal lifestyle.
· Unlike traditional tooth replacements which require regular maintenance and only last about 7 years, dental implants can last a lifetime. Hence, they are a cost effective alternative to other tooth replacement options.
It doesn’t matter whether you have one missing tooth or more, you can go for dental implants to replace a single tooth or all teeth. Before you undergo a dental implant, an oral surgeon will examine the area where the implants will be placed and determine if you are the right candidate for dental implants. When you visit our oral surgeons in Santa Fe, NM you can feel confident that they can help restore your confidence and smile. Our team of experienced professionals is dedicated to ensuring you get personalized treatment for your oral care. If you are looking for dental implants in Santa Fe you can reach out to us today so that you can have a consultation to discuss your oral health goals with us.